Eating disorders trial
Australia’s first trial of a best practice evidence-based approach to eating disorders treatment in a primary health network is being held on the Sunshine Coast.
The trial will provide primary and allied health professionals with access to training, knowledge, financial benefits and tertiary support. Outcomes of the project will influence future government policy on care pathways for people with eating disorders.
Types of treatment
The trial will improve access to:
- Guided self help (GSH)
- Family based treatment (FBT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy – enhanced (CBT-E)
- Specialist supportive clinical management (SSCM)
- Treatment as specified in an individual psychiatric management plan
- Live in the Sunshine Coast, Noosa or Gympie local government areas
- Meet the criteria for an eating disorder (AN, BN, BED, OSFED) as defined in the DSM-5
- Have no significant medical or psychiatric comorbidities that would affect treatment
- Be assessed as having a low to moderate risk of suicide or self-harm; and
Priority will be given to people who:
- Are in the early stages of developing an eating disorder (sub-clinical presentations or eating disorder diagnosis of less than 3 years duration)
- Are seeking treatment for the first time, regardless of the duration of illness.
- Are seeking assistance to manage the risks of relapse or recurrence after previous treatment for an eating disorder.
Participants will be referred for assessment and treatment by their own General Practitioner.
People who are receiving, or have received, intensive treatment through a hospital may be referred by their eating disorder specialist service for follow-up treatment and support.
Open referrals, received from other health professionals, will be accepted. However, participants will also be required to visit a General Practitioner for a medical assessment to finalise their referral.
Artius Health Services
All referrals will be processed by Artius Health Services on behalf of the CQWBSC PHN, and supported by the project team. To refer:
- Complete the Open Referral Form
- Complete the Medical Assessment Form (to be completed by a General Practitioner or Eating Disorder Specialist Service)
- Support the participant to complete the Eating Questionnaire (smart form version of EDE-Q and Dass 21)
* the above forms are smart forms and will only be visible and operable when opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Forward completed documentation:
Fax: (07) 5502 7414.
Medical objects to ARTIUS, Sunshine Coast
If you are interested in contributing to the research through a qualitative investigation of your experience as a health professional, individual, carer, or stakeholder, and the barriers to access eating disorder treatment, please contact Tanya Kretschmann email@example.com or 0498 035 772.
Help and supportFor urgent support call Lifeline 13 11 14
National Helpline on 1800 334 673
Visit the Butterfly Foundation’s website
Sunshine Coast Eating Disorder Service
The Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service Eating Disorder Clinic is open for prompt assistance:
Eating Disorders Service – Sunshine Coast
Address: 60 Dalton Drive, Maroochydore
Phone: (07) 5202 9500 (Monday to Friday 9am – 12pm)
After hours: 1300 MH CALL (1300 642 255)
Refer to the Eating Disorder Service fact sheet
- Open referral form
- Medical assessment form
- Eating questionnaire (smart form version of EDE-Q and Dass 21)
- the above forms are smart forms and will only be visible and operable when opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Participant information and consent
- Participant information and consent form
- Participant information and consent form under 18 years
- Participant information and consent form – comparator control
- Participant information and consent form – comparator control under 18 years
- Referrals are being accepted from 1 February 2019.
- This is a 3 year trial with a projected completion date, including evaluation, of 30 May 2021.
Training & professional development
Health professionals are encouraged to consider attending the training and professional development opportunities offered within the trial, and by trial partners.
There is no cost to health professionals registered as service providers within the trial.
A small cost may apply to those individuals wishing to attend the training who are not registered as service providers within the trial.
Refer to the training calendar for upcoming training and professional development opportunities.
Service provider registration
The trial is continuing to accept Expressions of Interest from health professionals with an interest in treating eating disorders. Register your interest.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the project team:
Colin Baskin, Project Manager
Ph: 0476 004 032
Tanya Kretschmann, Recovery Consultant
Ph: 0498 035 772
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date about the trial.