Sunshine Coast Eating Disorder Access Trial
Australia’s first trial of a best practice evidence-based approach to eating disorders treatment in a primary health network is being held on the Sunshine Coast.
The trial will provide primary and allied health professionals with access to training, knowledge, financial benefits and tertiary support. Outcomes of the project will influence future government policy on care pathways for people with eating disorders.
Types of treatment
The trial will improve access to:
- Guided self help (GSH)
- Family based treatment (FBT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy – enhanced (CBT-E)
- Specialist supportive clinical management (SSCM)
- Treatment as specified in an individual psychiatric management plan
- Live in the Sunshine Coast, Noosa or Gympie local government areas
- Meet the criteria for an eating disorder (AN, BN, BED, OSFED) as defined in the DSM-5
- Have no significant medical or psychiatric comorbidities that would affect treatment
- Be assessed as having a low to moderate risk of suicide or self-harm; and
Priority will be given to people who:
- Are in the early stages of developing an eating disorder (sub-clinical presentations or eating disorder diagnosis of less than 3 years duration)
- Are seeking treatment for the first time, regardless of the duration of illness.
- Are seeking assistance to manage the risks of relapse or recurrence after previous treatment for an eating disorder.
Participants will be referred for assessment and treatment by their own general practitioner.
People who are receiving, or have received, intensive treatment through a hospital may be referred by their eating disorder specialist service for follow-up treatment and support.
Open referrals, received from other health professionals, will be accepted. However, participants will also be required to visit a General Practitioner for a medical assessment to finalise their referral.
All referrals will be processed by the PHN, and supported by the project team. To refer:
- Complete the Doctor Referral Form (RTF form, see note regarding smart forms below) if a GP referral.
- Complete the Doctor Letter to confirm medical clearance for trial referrals.
- Complete the Pre-referral Form (RTF form) if an allied health referral.
- Allied health professionals eligible to deliver psychological treatment therapies are immediately eligible for two rebated assessment sessions for each client. We ask you to submit either the Eating Questionnaire (smart form*) or Eating Questionnaire (excel spreadsheet) with your invoice
Please note: smart forms will only be visible and operable when opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please download the forms, save to an appropriate location, and open directly via Adobe. Errors may arise when attempting to open these forms directly from the download.
Forward completed documentation to the project team at
- Send via Secure e-fax to: 61753018134
- Medical Objects: @ CS4575001QB
If you are interested in contributing to the research through a qualitative investigation of your experience as a health professional, individual, carer, or stakeholder, and the barriers to access eating disorder treatment, please contact:
Colin Baskin – SCEDAT Project Manager.
Colin.Baskin@thebutterflyfoundation.org.au or 0476 004 032.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the project team:
General email: SCEDAT@thebutterflyfoundation.org.au
Help and supportFor urgent support call Lifeline 13 11 14
National Helpline on 1800 334 673
Visit the Butterfly Foundation’s website
Sunshine Coast Eating Disorder Service
The Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service Eating Disorder Clinic is open for prompt assistance:
Eating Disorders Service – Sunshine Coast
60 Dalton Drive, Maroochydore
Ph: (07) 5202 9500 (Monday to Friday 9am – 12pm)
After hours: 1300 MH CALL (1300 642 255)
Refer to the Eating Disorder Service fact sheet
Please be aware Smart forms are only visible and operable when opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader. For best results download the relevant form and then open using Adobe Acrobat.
- Pre-referral form (word format)
- Doctor referral form (word format)
- Doctor referral form (Best Practice format)
- Doctor referral form (Medical Director format)
- Eating questionnaire (excel version)
- Eating questionnaire (*smart form version of EDE-Q and Dass 21)
- ED-15 questionnaire and scoring key (PDF format)
Information for participants
Consent to release for team treatment
Consent for research
- Referrals are being accepted from
1 February 2019
- This is a three year trial, with
intake concluding 31 October 2020
- Final evaluation at
30 May 2021
Training & professional development
Health professionals are encouraged to consider attending the training and professional development opportunities offered within the trial, and by trial partners.
There is no cost to health professionals registered as service providers within the trial.
A small cost may apply to those individuals wishing to attend the training who are not registered as service providers within the trial.
Service provider registration
The trial is continuing to accept Expressions of Interest from health professionals with an interest in treating eating disorders.
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date about the trial.