Palliative care is an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their families facing the problem associated with life-threatening illness, through the prevention and relief of suffering by means of early identification and impeccable assessment and treatment of pain and other problems, physical, psychosocial and spiritual.World Health Organization
What is the PHN’s involvement in palliative care?
The Australian Government has announced that PHNs will implement sustainable system changes to strengthen integration and coordination of services for people receiving palliative care at home. You can read further details of the Department of Health Greater Choice at Home Palliative Care Measure here.
Aims to improve coordination and integration of palliative care across primary, secondary, tertiary and community health services to support at home palliative care for those that choose it.
What are the objectives of the measure?
- to improve access to safe, quality palliative care at home and support palliative care systems and services in primary health care and community care;
- to enable the right care, at the right time and in the right place to reduce unnecessary hospitalisations;
- to generate and use data to ensure continuous improvement of services across sectors; and
- to utilise available technologies to provide flexible and responsive care, including care after usual business hours.
Talking about palliative care
Talking about dying is hard. And it is sad. However, death is inevitable and the better prepared we are for our death, the easier it will be on the ones we leave behind. It is also important to talk about death so you can prepare well. When we prepare in advance for our death we are able to relieve the decision making burden on those closest to us.
Contact Jo Pennell, Program Manager Palliative Care
Palliative care resources
- Palliative Care Australia
- Palliative Care Queensland
- Centre for Palliative care research and education
- Program of Experience in Palliative Care Approach
- My Health Record
- Download a comprehensive list of palliative care resources