The Practice Managers Toolkit
This page is for practice manager’s who are responsible for all the business and staffing aspects of General Practice. A practice management toolkit can make for a better patient experience because you are focused on them. As a result of that, the chances of them returning to your clinic are also increased. It’s a brilliant chain reaction that leads to more patients, more profits and better healthcare.
The companies that are listed on this webpage are not promoted by our PHN, but sources to assist. Please let us know if you’d like to be added to this page.
Accreditation is independent recognition that an organisation meets the requirements of governing industry standards. Health and community organisations are recognised for their commitment to best practices, quality, high performing systems and processes, and continuous improvement with the award of accreditation.
The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is a national register that records all vaccines given to all people in Australia.
Committing a plan to writing will increase the likelihood of success in achieving the practice objectives. Furthermore, there needs to be an implementation plan (an action plan) combined with a mechanism to measure results.
- Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Australian Business Register (ABR)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- Business Action Plan Template
- Business Continuity Plan Template
- Business Plan Template
- National Health Directory
- RACGP – Starting a medical practice
Closing the Gap is a government strategy that aims to reduce disadvantage among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with respect to life expectancy, child mortality, access to early childhood education, educational achieve and employment outcomes.
- Cultural Significant Dates
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO)
- Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council
- Queensland Government Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Social and Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Services in Aboriginal Australia
COVID-19 advice via this link will be updated as the situation evolves and new or changed information comes to hand. New information will be highlighted.
- COVID-19 infection control training
Grants and Funding
- COVID-19 – Business grants and assistance for Queensland
Digital health is about electronically connecting up the points of care so that health information can be shared securely.
Cyber security is critical to the provision of safe, high-quality healthcare and the efficient running of a general practice. It is a fixed cost of doing business, and requires adequate allocation of financial and human resources to ensure business continuity and the protection of information.
When a practice is undergoing an EFTPOS comparison to find out what suits your workflow and patient needs, it can be overwhelming to understand what makes one provider better over another. Have a look at this link, eight key EFTPOS features you should consider to better empower your practice’s payment system.
Electronic prescribing provides an option for prescribers and their patients to use an electronic Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescription.
GP Smart Referrals
GP Smart Referrals allows those involved in patient care to better manage the patient journey, improve patient safety and reduce specialist outpatient wait times.
HealthPathways is a web-based portal with evidence-based information on the assessment and management of common clinical conditions including referral guidance. The pathways are written by General Practitioners with support from local GPs, hospital–based specialists and other subject matter experts.
Health Provider Portal (The Viewer)
The Health Provider Portal (HPP) service provides a summary patient healthcare details to registered and authenticated health practitioners. All information on display is provided via secure tunnel access to Queensland Health’s read-only clinical application, The Viewer.
My Health Record
My Health Record is an online summary of your key health information. When you have a My Health Record, your health information can be viewed securely online, from anywhere, at any time.
Patient Management Software and User Manuals
Patient Management software is used to acquire medical information from a medical device to be used in the treatment or diagnosis of a patient. It can also be software that is an adjunct to a medical device and directly contributes to the treatment of the patient.
- 2017 BP Premier Management Manual
- 2018 BP Premier Clinical Manual
- 2018 BP Premier Recalls and Reminders
- Australia GP Software
- Genie Solutions Manual
- Medical Director and Pracsoft User Manuals and Training Videos
- Stat Health
PenCS Quality Improvement Software
PenCS serves a portfolio of integrated population health solutions and clinical decision support that identify and address rising risks to help reduce costs, improvement patient outcomes and increase provider satisfaction.
PRODA is an online authentication system used to securely access certain only services including the Health Provider Online Services (HPOS) and the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).
Practices need to consider what content is safe and appropriate to send and discuss via electronic messaging and the methods to do so.
Telehealth services are the use of digital information and communication technologies to access health care services remotely, to manage health care for patients.
Looking for a GP? Here is a list of recruitment agencies.
- GP Recruitment Agencies
- GP Recruitment, AHPRA – PESCI exam
- GP recruitment, PESCI Exam
- GP recruitment, RACGP – PESCI exam
- General Practice Soapbox – General Practice Soapbox is a closed Facebook group for members of the General Practice Business Community in Australia (Practice Principals, Owners, Managers and General Practitioners) to connect, explore business & employment opportunities, exchange ideas & recommendations and provide mutual support on a wide range of business matters. To join, simply search for “General Practice Soapbox” on Facebook and sign up
Every year Australia plays a part in supporting a diverse range of health events which help increase awareness about specific diseases and medical conditions. If you want to get involved this year or just want to learn more about these events, simply use this comprehensive health events calendar.
Human-resources of an organisation performs human resource management, overseeing various aspects of employment, such as compliance with labor law and employment standards, administration of employee benefits, organising of employees files with the required documents for future reference, and some aspects of recruitment and employee offboarding.
- Australian Association of Practice Management (AAPM) Advisory
- Unions: a part of your support network
- Australian Medical Association Queensland (AMA)
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Work Safe QLD
Professional Indemnity Insurance protects professionals, consultants, contractors and businesses against legal costs and claims for any personal loss or damage. Ultimately, professional indemnity insurance may protect your assets and your reputation should a claim rise.
MBS Online and guides contain the latest MBS information and is updated as changes to the MBS occur.
Please join other likeminded people in your area for Networking Meetings across our regions of Central Queensland, Wide Bay and Sunshine Coast.
Join a Facebook page to see what other likeminded people are discussing as hot topics.
Why be a member of a peak body? Peak bodies offer a strong voice and important integrative functions, they undertake key peak roles and assist members where needed.
- Australian Association of Practice Management (AAPM)
- Australian College of Nursing
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACCRM)
- Australian Medical Association Queensland (AMAQ)
- Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA)
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Rural Doctors Association of Australia (RDAA)
- Rural Doctors Association of Queensland (RDAQ)
Central Queensland, Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast PHN has a team of dedicated primary health care officers who can provide information, resources and assistance of practices across the region in a range of areas.
The Practice Incentives Program (PIP) is aimed at supporting general practice activities that encourage continuing improvements and quality care, enhance capacity and improve access and health outcomes for patients.
This Practice Managers (PM) Handover Document is a document created for PM’s who are about to leave their position, either temporarily or permanently, to assist their successor to carry out their duties.
Are you thinking about advancing your career in health administration management? Well, you are on the right track. See PDF document for more information on where to go to enhance your skills.
Evidence based best practice clinical resources for clinicians and health care workers.
Risk management in general practice: quality and safety improvement guides and template resources:
- Australian commission on safety and quality in health care
- Avant Adverse Event Reporting form
- Avant Risk Management
- Patient safety notice
- Queensland Government Risk Management Plan – Template and guide
- RACGP Risk Management
- Risk Management Plan Template
Services, payments and programs if you’re a practice manager.
Workforce management software is a desktop and mobile program that helps a business manage staff scheduling.