Practice nurse resources
Practice nursing is a rewarding career which requires a diverse and specialised set of skills and knowledge. This page is aimed at supporting their continuously expanding role in primary health care.
- Salary and Conditions
- Nurses Award and related resources – including Nurse Award 2010 Fair Work Australia
- My Nursing Future – Supporting current and future nurses to grow their careers in primary health care
- Healthy Practices – Nurses are a healthy investment
- Why general practice needs nurses more than ever
- COVID 19
- Visit COVID-19 webpages for personal protective equipment requests, information and resources (including COVID-19 vaccinations)
- Health promotion and chronic disease
- Visit Chronic Disease Management for clinical guidelines, resources, services and education
- Visit Immunisation program for information, resources and education
- Quality improvement
- Visit Practice Incentive program for toolkits and templates
- Digital Health
- Visit Digital Health program for information and education – My Health Record, e-prescribing, cybersecurity
- Life support
- Cancer screening
- Intellectual disability
- Data quality
- Clinical risk
- Clinical systems
- Secure messaging
- MBS for primary care
- Older person
- Carers and Disability support
- Carers Queensland – including NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme)
- National Cancer Programs
- TIS National interpreting service
Visit your local HealthPathways webpage for information about local support programs.
Transition to Practice Program: Australian Practice Nurse Association. Transition to Practice Program (TPP) provides an evidence-based framework of education over 12-months to nurses who have transitioned to primary health care* and feel they would benefit from additional support.
Nurses working in remote and rural Queensland or New South Wales (MMM3+) can apply for a TPP package funded by Health Workforce Queensland or NSW Rural Doctors Network respectively. Nurses working in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health Services in QLD and NSW may also be eligible for scholarships through these agencies.
*The PHN has been partnering with the Australian Practice Nurse Association (APNA) to sponsor nurses who are new to primary care practice to participate in the Transition to Practice Program. Get in touch with your practice support team if you want to know more.
- Services Australia
- Infection control
- Data quality
- E-learning platforms
Some of these platforms offer fully funded training programs.
- Mental health
Please refer to the resources tab (above) for more training information about the following topics: disease prevention and chronic disease management, immunisation and digital health
- Australian Contraception and Abortion Primary Care Practitioner Support Network – AusCAPPS