Practice nurse resources
Need to know more about what the PHN can offer your practice? Contact your Practice Support Officer for further help.
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia Regulating Australia’s nurses and midwives.
- The Australian College of Nursing (ACN) a key national professional nursing organisation with a focus on nursing leadership.
- Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA) the peak professional body for nurses working in primary health care.
- The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) Protecting the health and safety of the community by promoting high quality standards for nursing and midwifery education.
- ANMF National toolkit
Commencing in early 2016, Queensland Health will progressively add 400 nurse navigators across the state’s public hospital and health services over the next four-years as part of a new service for patients who have complex health conditions and require a high degree of clinical care.
The nurse navigator service will be provided by highly experienced nurses who have an in-depth understanding of the health system.
Nurse navigators will:
- monitor high needs patients, identify actions required to manage their health care and direct patients to the right service, at the right time and in the right place
- provide an end-to-end care and coordination service along a patient’s entire health care journey
- educate and help patients to better understand their health conditions and enable them to self-manage or participate in decisions about their health care. In some cases, this may even reduce the need for hospital admission.
Nurse navigators will work across system boundaries and in close partnership with other health and allied-health services such as cancer care coordinators and social workers, to ensure a patient receives the appropriate and timely care needed.
Patients who qualify for this service will be identified by the health system and will be connected with a nurse navigator who will be assigned to them.
This initiative is led by the Department of Health’s Office of the Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer.
In the Sunshine Coast and Gympie please contact:
Carolyn Jones, Nurse Unit Manager – Nurse Navigator Service
Nambour Community Health Centre
Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service
P: 5450 4750 M: 0438 839 791
- National Practice Standards for Nurses in General Practice
- Nursing in General Practice 2015 (Supersedes Nursing in General Practice Information Kit 2005)
- Indirect Funding for Nursing in General Practices
- Nursing and Midwifery Board – Professional Indemnity Guidelines