The RACGP are encouraging general practitioners and other health professionals to take care of their own physical, mental, emotional and social health and to seek support when required. There are multiple barriers that may prevent health professionals accessing mental health services.
However self-care and mental health resources and services specifically developed for GPs and health professionals are available.
Self-care and mental health resources for general practitioners is a new RACGP resource developed to increase GPs’ awareness of supports available to them. They provide an introduction to:
- strategies to support mental health wellbeing
- promotion of GPs having an independent GP of their own
- where to access mental health support
- supporting mental health in the workplace
- further resources including support agencies, courses and reading material