The Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service has a well-developed plastic surgery service, which includes the management of complex skin cancer excisions.
Skin cancer excisions are also managed by the department of general surgery.
To improve patient access to the appropriate specialty, the following referral criteria have been introduced:
- All head and neck skin cancers (above the clavicle) – refer to PLASTIC SURGERY.
- Biopsy histopathology report is required (unless clinically contraindicated).
- For full details see HealthPathways Non-acute Plastic Surgery Assessment
- All other skin cancers – refer to GENERAL SURGERY
- Biopsy histopathology report is encouraged, if possible.
- For full details see HealthPathways Non-Acute General Surgery Assessment
For educational resources on the management of skin cancer see HealthPathways Skin Lesions.
For service information about local general practitioners with experience in skin cancer, e.g. for arranging biopsy or excision, see HealthPathways and Skin Cancer College Australasia (SCCA) Accredited Skin Cancer Doctor search.